The Shreveport Downtown Lions Club was the first major civic organization to be organized in Shreveport, receiving its charter on November 10, 1916. Its president was E. A. Embry. Shreveport Downtown was one of the 22 clubs represented at the First International Convention in October, 1917, where it changed its charter from the old Evansville, Indiana based International Association of Lions Clubs to the new Chicago, Illinois based International Association of Lions Clubs. And it made its presence known. Roger Wheles was elected a two-year International Director. At the Second International Convention, F. C. Brinkman was elected 3rd International Vice-President. And at the Third International Convention, Lion Brinkman was elected International Director.
Records from Lions International show Shreveport Downtown was the 20th Lions Club organized. At its 50th anniversary in 1966, it was declared to be the 12th oldest club in Lions International, due to failures of other clubs. In 1951, Shreveport Downtown was officially designated a Founder Club by Lions International.
If there was a Louisiana Lions Hall of Fame, these men would be the first inductees, the fore-fathers of Lions in Louisiana...the charter Lions of Shreveport Downtown.